Saturday, September 10, 2016

437 Years Later

I think it's time to give you guys a glimpse of the ultimate fate of the Legends of the Dark Tower universe..




Legends of the Dark Tower turned into a much bigger idea than I'd ever intended it to be when I wrote Patch 19.  As I wrote a few more caps in the universe, I decided I needed to write a sort of epilogue, a flash forward to see what became of the players many years in the future, once they'd had a chance to settle into their new world.  In particular, I wanted to show that the effects of Patch 19 were permanent, and that the players of LotDT were trapped in Arlayne for good.  This is that epilogue.

Which is not to say that I'm done writing LotDT caps; far from it.  I have a ton of ideas for this universe, and in fact I have a lengthy LotDT series in the works.  This is only an epilogue in a temporal sense; it's far from the end of the story.

Tip of the hat to Contant Payne, who suggested I use Jessica Nigri's cosplay for a cap.  Cosplay is a wonderful gift for cappers; it makes it possible to tell stories like this one, set in science fiction and fantasy settings.  There's lots and lots of cosplay on the interwebs, which means there's lots and lots of material for LotDT caps.

By the way, I take no official position on whether Idhrenelle is correct about the nature of Patch 19; hers is just one theory among many.  It seems like a reasonable theory to me, and a natural one for her to come to, given her experiences and her position in the world of Arlayne.  But I'm intentionally leaving Patch 19, its nature and the motivations behind it, as a mystery.  I think it's more interesting that way.

4 comments:

  1. thanks for the mention,also we need like a mini series for chris/Idhrenelle and find out more about the angelkin and demonkin and potentially dragonkin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought about writing more about Chris/Idhrenelle, though I don't have any specific stories in mind yet. But after more than four centuries in Arlayne, I'm sure she has plenty of stories to tell. :)

      I'll definitely be writing caps about angelkin and demonkin; I don't have any finished captions with angelkin and demonkin characters, but I have some ideas and I've collected a lot of pictures, especially for demonkin. (The six races I mention--humans, elves, dwarves, gnomes, angelkin, and demonkin--are the six playable races I've come up for for Legends of the Dark Tower; I may add more in the future, but I haven't thought of any.)

      I've thought about adding dragonkin to the list, but I've decided to roll the pictures I have saved for dragonkin into the concept of demonkin. I may revisit the idea of dragonkin at some point, though.

      Delete
    2. here are some photos for demon kin http://game.mthai.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/main2.jpg

      http://game.mthai.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/main2.jpg

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed how you wrapped this up. The players who became Elves are both blessed and cursed . . . they only die by mishap or mischief.

    IS
    Zapper

    ReplyDelete