Friday, December 30, 2016

Subject Twenty-Four 18


Sometimes, when I write a caption, I start with an idea and look for a picture to illustrate it.  But just as often--maybe more often, actually--I find an interesting image or sequence of video that suggests an idea to me, and I build up a story around the image.  Subject Twenty-Four is an example of the latter.

I came up with the idea for Subject Twenty-Four as I was catching up on the final few episodes of last season of Arrow over the summer.  The idea of a character being held captive in, and escaping from, what appeared from the outside to be a quaint suburban neighborhood seemed interesting.  That eventually evolved into the idea of the Doctor's compound and his body-swapping experiment.

The second half of this series evolved from the fact that Thea--Willa Holland's character in Arrow--is a costumed vigilante.  The image above was, in fact, one of the first I found for this series, and I structured much of the latter half of the series around it.  The fact that Thea's boyfriend dies while she's being held captive--that would be a spoiler alert if I hadn't already used an image of his death, albeit with his face off-camera--brought the first and second halves of the story together nicely.

You can follow this and my other series on my series page.

4 comments:

  1. How does he know what the doctor looks like? I can't remember him meeting the doctor from the earlier captions. (Maybe, he did and I just forgot)

    Cheers
    Zapper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt and The Doctor met way back in part 5:

      http://swapgirlscaptions.blogspot.com/2016/12/subject-twenty-four-5.html

      It's been a while, though, so it's easy to forget. :)

      Delete
    2. I've really been enjoying this series. Thanks for writing it. The character development is first rate.

      Cheers
      Zapper

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete