Saturday, March 4, 2017

Diary - Bathroom Selfie


I don't often talk directly about politics here, but trans rights are a subject that hits especially close to home for me.  Even if they don't affect me directly anymore, they did once, and I think I'm in a unique position, as a transwoman in a ciswoman's body, to contribute to this discussion.

I know this is a controversial topic (and kind of an awkward one to discuss, btw), and I really do understand why people would object to letting trans people, and especially transwomen, use the restroom that aligns with their gender identity.  But that makes it all the more important that I, with my unique experience, speak up about this.  People need to know how illusory the threat of transwomen assaulting ciswomen and children actually is, and how real the danger from trans people of having to use the wrong restroom is.

No comments:

Post a Comment