Sunday, April 9, 2017

The Noob 28


I put a fair amount of thought into the size of the world and the distances Evan and Paul travel when I was writing this series.  Because this story is, in a sense, structured like a road trip, I get to explore the size of Arlayne in a way that I can't in a one-off caption.  Arlayne is a massive world, one and a half times the size of earth; I wanted to try to convey some of that scale in this series.

The game worlds of most MMOs and "open world" video games are, by necessity, dramatically scaled down.  It's impossible to hand-craft a truly full-scale world... and it probably wouldn't be much fun to play in such a world, since it would take hours or days to get from place to place.

The Arlayne Paul and other players of Legends of the Dark Tower were familiar with was probably no larger than a small town.  The Arlayne Paul and Evan are travelling through now is immeasurably more vast.

Also... banks.  Banks are such a weird convention in MMOs.  You can put an item in your bank, and then you can withdraw it on the other side of the planet.

Clearly there's some sort of magic involved.

You can follow this and my other series on my series page.

1 comment:

  1. I like your twist on this . . . the world is a vast place, particularly if your walking or ride a horse. Not like jumping into an airplane and going coast to coast in one day.

    Cheers
    Zapper

    ReplyDelete